Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I went run-- jogging... I went jogging this morning.

My friend, L, invited me to come along for her early (early) morning jog. I hesitated not only because of the ungodly wake-up time, but also because I stopped running due to a knee injury. But L promised she keeps a slow pace.

So, pretending I'm hardcore, I went to bed last night after my cardio work-out and woke up this morning to another. L and I met up at Kennedy Park, and I have to admit it was totally worth it! First off, the jogging path is now covered in mulch (used to be asphalt) so it was really easy on the ol' knees. No sign of pain after the 5K. And then BONUS! It was a gorgeous dawn and we got to watch the sun rising over the bay (I know it was so romantic, I thought about proposing to L).

In any case, it feels great to have my daily workout out of the way for the day and especially to know I can still run-- or at least, jog. For about 15 years I would really pride myself on my runs. Ever since the 6th grade (no, for real) when I got the Most Improved award and the MVP on the cross country team! Like I had something to prove to my slimmer 12-year old self. Running was the only sport I could really commit to and I was hardcore. I would run every day and in any weather. Most of my runs ended with me gasping for air, like the world's supply was running out and someone had punched me in the gut. I was totally addicted to the high. Until my knee started to act up from overuse. I had to find new work outs, especially those that were easier on my knees.

The positive thing is what I learned: those types of workouts, (you know the ones; where you can't talk while working out, let alone BREATHE at the end), aren't necessarily the most beneficial to fat burning. Slower, more controlled exercise is the best way to burn fat. The elliptical is great, but can get old. So it's good to have spinning, kickboxing, and now I have jogging... again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment